Google Groups
Subscribe to Software Outsourcing [ Hire Dedicated Group ]
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, May 28, 2007

Wikia Search people powered search?

So a friend of mine pointed me over to Wikia Search. I had seen this site before but really didn't have any interest at the time and long forgotten about it. So I decided to actually read what they had to say, at least on their home page. I don't quite agree that todays Search Engines are broken, but ok. I kept reading to find out they want a people-powered search engine. Very ambitious and one that Google Answers failed at and Yahoo Answers is doing just so-so with.

The ability to do a socially defined (ie, people-powered search results) search is very difficult. I can't wait to see how the user edited search results looks like. Should be quite interested and will be very curious to see if it actually is used by anyone or has relevant results. Are Google's results so irrelevant? Or Yahoos? I think both are doing well myself.

So Why blog about this? - Well I am always for open source and this is an open source search engine community project. So why not blog about it in the hopes that somebody (not me!) with time on their hands and some talent may contribute to the project. Is this you? :)

More Information